Sunday, February 1, 2009
Websites as Applications
Everyone knows that I have been absolutely RAVING over how awesome google chrome is. Well with the recent fixes which allow for full fuctionality with hotmail and yahoo mail the browser has just gotten better and better. I recently stumbled across a new feature in chrome that I think is just awesome!!! The feature is called "Create Application Shortcuts". If you click on the little page looking icon directly to the right of the address bar you will find the option. Essentially what it does is creates a shortcut on your desktop or where ever you want linking you back to that specific website. You may ask, "why is that so cool?" You may also say, "Big deal! I can do that in I.E., Firefox, or safari too! What makes Chrome so special?" Well..... I am about to tell you. The difference with chrome is that it will actually load that site into an application window using the icon of that site. It is completely seperate from the browser and truly gives it that desktop application look and feel. This is especially GREAT for webware applications like Google Docs, Pandora Radio, Twitter, Facebook, and so on. I absolutely cannot do this feature justice by describing it in this article. I encourage you to download and install a copy of chrome so you can give it a try for yourself! Happy surfing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
for the record... I know you can do this in other browsers as well but none of them make it as easy as chrome! So there! I win!! : )
Post a Comment